What to Do if You Get Hurt on the Job as a Maritime Worker

You may have heard about workers’ compensation at some point in your life. Workers’ compensation is a special benefit that protects people when they get hurt in the process of performing their work duties. It covers a certain percentage of a worker’s paycheck while that person is recovering from the injury. The benefit also covers medical treatment. Most large employers are obligated to keep this insurance for their workers. If you are a maritime worker, you may be under a different workers’ compensation plan. Here’s some information about maritime workers’ compensation versus regular workers’ compensation and what you should do if you get hurt on the job. 

Maritime Workers’ Compensation Versus Other Workers’ Compensation

Maritime workers compensation is a bit different from other types. It covers only people who work in maritime positions, and it’s separated into two types. Seamen who get hurt on the job are entitled to sue their employer for negligence or sue the shipowner for unseaworthiness. They can also sue for Cure and Maintenance. These rights were established under the Jones Act of the 1920s, which obligates the employer to provide a safe place for seamen to work. Other maritime workers can receive disability benefits, medical treatment coverage, and vocational rehabilitation. The disability benefits may equal two thirds or 66 percent of the worker’s regular wages. 

The laws are complex for maritime workers. Therefore, you may want to discuss your options with an attorney. The attorney will have to evaluate your position to see if you qualify as a seaman or another type of worker who is eligible under the regular maritime workers’ comp benefits. Once you learn how you fit into the workers’ compensation bracket, you’ll then know what you have to do to proceed with your case. It’s always a good idea to get some advice from a legal specialist before you do anything so that you’ll have the upper hand. 

What to Do if You Get Hurt While You’re Working

The first thing you need to do if you get hurt on any job is to report it to your direct supervisor. He or she can help you open a workers’ compensation claim. The next thing you have to do is get medical attention immediately. You must have a medical professional assess you and decide whether you are capable enough to return to work. If not, then the specialist will give you the supporting documentation for your workers’ compensation claim. 

What to Do if Your Claim Gets Denied

In some cases, the insurance company decides that it does not want to pay a claim. You do have recourse if that happens to you. You will need to schedule an appointment with an attorney who covers cases that involve maritime workers’ compensation. That specialist can help you get the funds you need while you’re recovering from your workplace injury. Furthermore, the person can assist you if you need to change the way you file your claim. You might be eligible for a maritime personal injury case if your accident occurred because of your employer’s neglect. You cannot file a claim for both types of compensation. However, a seasoned attorney can help you decide which way is the right way for you to go on the matter. 

Schedule an Appointment ASAP

It would be wise for you to schedule an appointment as quickly as possible if you’re experiencing difficulty getting your benefits approved. A specialist will invite you to a consultation where you can explain the denial, and he can see if there’s a procedural error of some sort. It might be worth it to make the appointment. You might find out that you’re eligible for more than you think you are.

Related posts